Man jumps from upstairs window to escape fire that destroyed family’s home

A man had a narrow escape after leaping from an upstairs window to escape a blaze that destroyed his family’s possessions.

Jamie Jillo, 31, is 'lucky to be alive' after landing outside, where he was found by a neighbour.

He said he is like a cat with nine lives as he has also been run over twice before, GrimsbyLive reports.

Fortunately his partner Hollie Wustrack, 29, was dropping her two children Sienna, eight, and four-year-old Darcie off at school at the time.

He woke up on January 27 to find their home in Cleethorpes, Lincs filling up with smoke, causing him to choke on carbon monoxide.

Dazed by smoke inhalation, he jumped out a window in just his jogging bottoms and landed on his side.

A neighbour found him and he was taken to hospital and placed on oxygen for six hours.

Mr Jillo said: “It’s not what you expect to wake up to.

“There was no time to react – I just jumped out of the window in what I had on.”

  • Bumble founder and CEO becomes youngest female self-made billionaire of all time

He is understood to have injured his ribs and back and is awaiting an X-Ray later this month.

It is currently unknown how the fire began, but it destroyed almost all of their belongings and they can't move back in.

He added: “I’m just thankful Hollie and the girls were not in the house and it was just me.

“I’m lucky to have survived it – it has really shaken me up.

“You don’t want to dwell on what has happened. You need to look towards the future. That’s what I’m doing – trying to move on.”

  • Bears charge at terrified crowd after being released back into the wild from cages

Jamie says he has twice been run over by a car, adding: “I’m like a cat with nine lives”.

Ms Wustrack said: “He rang up and said he couldn’t breathe – it was the worst phone call of my life.

“I had dropped off the girls and I got in a taxi and ran down the street – I have never run so fast in my entire life.

“His eyes were blood shot, he was wrapped in foil to keep him warm – but it was like he didn’t know who I was. He was just looking through me.”

She said neighbours have kindly given them food and clothes, adding: “I am so grateful.”

The family spent two weeks living in hotels before moving into temporary accommodation.

They are unable to move back into their home due to fire damage but hope to secure a permanent property later this month.

A GoFundMe page set up to support the family has raised nearly £1,000.

Source: Read Full Article