A US drone attack in Afghanistan has taken out two ISIS-K "planners" riding a tuk-tuk, in apparent retaliation for Thursday's Kabul airport bombing.
Another was injured according to a Pentagon official, who said the fact they were ISIS-K "planners and facilitators" was "reason enough alone" for the strike.
It happened in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar on Friday, which is reportedly home to some 2,000 Islamic State Khorasan terrorists.
The retaliatory blast on Friday came after 13 US troops and dozens of Afghans were killed in the blast at Kabul airport on Thursday, write The Sun.
The suicide bomber hit people waiting desperately for a flight out of Afghanistan and people were seen carrying those who had been wounded to ambulances, their clothes covered in blood.
The revenge attack by the United States came as part of a "24/7" hunt for those responsible for the bombing at Kabul airport.
The Mail reported two senior ISIS-K terrorists – described as "planners" – died immediately and were reportedly sat in the back of a three-wheeled tuk-tuk after being struck by a missile from an MQ-9 Reaper drone.
The attack drone used in the strike is believed to be based in Qatar – where America also has a fleet of B52 bombers that could be drawn upon.
Two Brits and child of British national among dead in horror Kabul airport attack
US Defence Department spokesperson John Kirby wouldn't confirm whether the men were involved in Thursday's deadly suicide bombing.
He said: "They were ISIS-K planners and facilitators and that's enough reason there alone. I won't speak to the details of these individuals and what their specific roles might be.
"We have the ability and the means to carry over the horizon counterterrorism capabilities and we're going to defend ourselves."
According to Kirby, neither Congress nor the Taliban received prior notice of the drone strike. Future attacks against ISIS have not been ruled out after General Frank McKenzie, commander of US Central Command, vowed to work “24/7” to hunt down militants responsible.
The evacuation continues in Kabul ahead of Tuesday's deadline with forces maintaining a high state of alert in the face of a continued threat of terrorist attacks.
"The next few days will be our most dangerous period to date" in the evacuation, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said.
Have your say on this story using the comments section below
Source: Read Full Article