An investigation has been launched after a “new” mattress bought from an online store turned out to be a second hand one that was infested with bedbugs.
Jaye Bannon says she bought the orthopaedic bed for her mum from a store called Furniture Scotland that she found through an Instagram ad.
The 30-year-old told how the bed and mattress arrived at their Glasgow home in sealed packaging on March 14 with the goods appearing to be in almost perfect condition.
But not long after getting the new mattress Jaye’s mum, Susanne McKee, from Glasgow, began noticing bug bites on her face and body.
At first she thought that insects could getting into her room because she slept with the window open.
But the 51-year-old continued to wake up with the unexplained marks and when she noticed a tear in the mattress lining, she decided to pull at it.
She horrified when she discovered the new mattress had been upholstered with fresh felt and material – and underneath was a mould-covered dirty mattress which was badly stained.
The family claims they were then forced to throw out clothes, the carpet and other belongings when they spotted bed bugs crawling around the room.
Daughter Jaye told the Daily Record : “I found the bed on Instagram and ordered it through a WhatsApp call: They said it was a brand new bed and a brand new mattress. When it came, it looked beautiful.
Giant rats spotted in kids' play park by shocked mum worried about vermin's poo
“There were no problems with the bed," she continued. "There were just a few wee bits where you could see the felt hadn’t been pulled over the frame properly but once it was made up, it was fine.
“The mattress was in a sealed packaging which we opened.
"Then my mum started getting bites all over her face. She started noticing them after a couple of days.
“I thought it was because she was sleeping with the window open so she kept it closed for a few days but she was still getting them.
“She said something was bothering her with the mattress and when she was making the bed one day, she saw a wee tear in the lining and that’s when she saw what was underneath."
It was then that the family made the shock discovery: “It’s an old mattress that has been covered in felt and had different material put on top of it. It was horrible.
“There was storage under the bed that was filled with my mum’s summer clothes and a big bag of shoes which have had to be thrown out.
“We also had a brand new carpet and underlay which we’ve had to rip up and chuck out the back.
“She’s also had to put her couch out because she was lying in the bed and then moving onto the couch so we’re going to have to get that cleaned.”
Jaye contacted the company to complain and was initially offered a replacement mattress which she refused.
Furniture Scotland has since offered the family a refund.
Jaye has also demanded they pay for the house to be fumigated to get rid of the bugs.
A spokesperson for Furniture Scotland, who are based in Glasgow, accepted that they had supplied the faulty goods but said they had been unaware that the mattress had been recovered.
They said: “We delivered the mattress to her but we didn’t have any clue that the mattress was recovered.
“We have been trading for the last eight years and have never heard of anything like that. We take the manufacturer’s word that everything is brand new and up to the standards that we agreed with the factory.
“Regarding the resolution, we offered her a full refund plus what she paid for pest control and the new carpet as soon as we were made aware of this.”
They added that they had recalled the mattress range immediately and an investigation into the incident remains ongoing.
Source: Read Full Article