French influence at stake! Macron hit with referendum horrorshow– key region could SPLIT

Macron’s ‘dilemma’ in the Sahel discussed my James Shields

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The Republic’s President has been slammed for “deafening silence” over the impending independence vote in the French archipelago of New Caledonia. One of its two pro-independence parties has vowed to boycott the poll unless it is delayed – and warned civil unrest could ensue should that not happen.

Located in the South Pacific, the collection of dozens of islands is a relic of France’s imperial past.

While it has scant natural resources, its key location is seen as invaluable to France – especially after its pride was hurt when it was wrongfooted by the Aukus deal to supply Australia with nuclear-powered submarines in September.

Commenting on the referendum, French politician, Eric Ciotti, who has represented the first constituency of Alpes-Maritimes in the National Assembly since 2007, said: “In a month, New Caledonia must remain French. French influence in the Indo-Pacific area is at stake!”

Despite France’s desire to maintain sovereignty, there is a sizable group on the islands demanding independence.

This would likely usher in a new period of Chinese influence over the islands as Xi Jinping’s regime flexes its muscles in the region.

To accommodate this, France signed the Nouméa Accord in 1998 which guaranteed three referendums on independence.

Votes were held in 2018 and 2020, during which 56.7 percent and 53.3 percent of the population backed staying with France respectively.

A third vote is scheduled for December 12.

DON’T MISS
Mum’s anxiety as Liverpool blast happened just after she gave birth [INSIGHT]
Terror threat raised to SEVERE following Liverpool attack [EXPLAINER]
Liverpool bombing sparks fears of ‘concerted number of terror attacks’ [ANALYSIS]

But a branch of the pro-independence FLNKS party is calling for a postponement because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mr Macron’s Government has so far refused, leading to the group declaring that it will boycott the poll.

In a statement, the separatist party said: “(It) is a real declaration of war against the Kanak people.

“This iniquitous decision is a political provocation.

“It takes us back to square one before the Matignon (1988) and Nouméa (1998) agreements and undermines any possibility of dialogue on the country’s future.”

Its leader Paul Néaoutyine, who is president of the northern province, warned that “the state’s stubbornness (…) could lead to a situation of tension that is dangerous for civil peace”.

In response, the islands’ High Commissioner Patrice Faure announced last Friday that the Government was sticking by the original date.

He said the spread of Covid was “controlled”.

Meanwhile, loyalist parties are demanding to keep the scheduled date.

France’s Overseas Minister Sébastien Lecornu told Europe 1 that “non-participation is a right in democracy” but it will have no “legal impact.”

“The fact of not participating (…) does not prevent it from being legitimate in the legal sense of the term,” he stressed.

Additional reporting by Maria Ortega

Source: Read Full Article