Driver ran over and killed woman after refusing to pay £50 for sex act in van

A driver has admitted running over and killing a woman as he drove off with her hanging on to the side of his van after she performed a sex act on him, a court heard.

Stella Frew, 38, leaned into James Martin's vehicle after he wolf-whistled her before they got into an argument when he refused to pay her £50, a court heard.

According to a witness, Martin sped off with Ms Frew leaning into the van window. He zig-zagged from left to right before running over Ms Frew, the court heard, as reported by The Mirror.

Martin, 27, admitted to causing the death of Stella Frew by dangerous driving and will return to court on Thursday for sentencing.

The woman fell in the road and was hit by the rear wheels as Martin drove off in his white van, the Old Bailey heard.

Ms Frew was left to die in Tonfield Road, Sutton, south London, after the incident on July 24 last year.

An air ambulance attended the incident, but paramedics could not save the woman's life and she was pronounced dead at the scene.

The defendant, of Peeks Brook Lane, Crawley, West Sussex, was due to face trial for Ms Frew's manslaughter today.

However, prosecutor Jonathan Polnay said the guilty plea to the alternative charge of death by dangerous driving was acceptable to the Crown.

Mr Polnay said Martin had just left the home he shared with his partner and was driving on Ridge Road, Sutton when he wolf-whistled at Ms Frew.

Police later found evidence of a used condom and cigarette paper containing DNA belonging to Martin and Ms Frew, the court heard.

Following his arrest, Martin told police: "What have I done? It wasn't me. I didn't do it."

Martin said he had no connection with the woman, claiming he was at work that day and that it was "a case of mistaken identity".

Mr Polnay said: "The carefully-crafted statement is a lie complete with a false alibi."

He added that, by "accelerating quickly" with Ms Frew hanging on to the car, the defendant created a "substantial risk of danger" and his knowledge at the time was an "important factor".

Martin, of Horley, Surrey, admitted causing death by dangerous driving and was granted bail.

Jeremy Dein, QC, defending, said Martin is suffering from PTSD as a result of what happened.

Mr Dein added: "He is extremely emotional and suffers from breakdowns."

Judge Richard Marks QC made an interim order disqualifying Martin from driving – and he adjourned sentencing.

Members of Ms Frew's family sat in Court One of the Old Bailey for the hearing.

For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article