The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
A dad of four was knifed to death after he offered food from a birthday party to a homeless man, reports claim.
James Gibbons, 34, had gone to offer the man grub from his barbecue and tried to stop teenagers picking on him, The Sun writes.
Locals claim the teens had been causing havoc in the area on scooters and shouting abuse and James tried to chase them off.
This is when it is believed they stabbed him with a knife, with him later dying from his wounds.
He passed away yards from fiance Victoria Billingham and their four children in Laindon, Essex.
Family have paid tribute to 'Gibbo' saying they were "absolutely broken beyond belief".
They said in a statement: “James was an amazing father of four young children, engaged to his partner of 11 years, and was a loving and supportive son and brother.
“James was a hard-working family-orientated man, who ran his own bathroom fitting company and was looking forward to a positive future for him and his family.
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
“This tragedy occurred after he had spent the day celebrating his two-year-old twin girls’ birthday at home and we are absolutely broken beyond belief at this pointless loss which has had a devastating effect on us all.
“James was the kind of person who would always be prepared to help anyone less fortunate than himself, which is what he was doing on Sunday night.
“As a family we are urging anyone to come forward with any information that may help the police as they investigate James’s death in the hope we can get justice.”
The slaying took place at 9.30pm on Sunday, with a close friend telling The Sun the dad was having a barbecue as it was his twins' birthday recently.
James decided to take over some food to the homeless man he had seen earlier in the day when he saw the teens attacking the rough sleeper, the friend said.
Three boys and two girls, aged between 13 and 16, have been arrested on suspicion of murder.
Two remain in custody and three have been released under investigation.
It's the second tragedy to hit the family after his mum Wendy lost son Ashley, 26, to an epileptic fit six years ago.
Floral tributes have been left at the scene for James, describing him as 'one in a million'.
Det Chief Supt Steve Jennings, of Essex Police, said: “A family has been broken apart, and we need to get to the bottom of what happened.
“Our enquiries have led us to believe the victim was going to the aid of another man and, as a result, he lost his life during an altercation which ensued with a group of young people not directly known to him.
"It is a tragic loss of life and we are continuing to appeal for the public’s help.”
Police want to hear from anyone who may have seen or heard anything in Iris Mews just before 9.30pm on Sunday, and anyone who may have seen any discarded weapons.
- Knife Crime
Source: Read Full Article