Brit tourist starved and beaten at Dubai police station died of neglect

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    A British tourist who was "starved and beaten" at a Dubai police station died of "neglect".

    An inquest ruled that the death of businessman Lee Brown, 39, who died on April 12, 2011, after five days in custody at the Bur Dubai police station, was due to cruel guards and neglect of care.

    The 39-year-old had been left with inadequate levels of food and water, bruised and was unable to access necessary medical care after being placed in solitary confinement.

    READ MORE: Brit tourist beaten and starved to death by cruel prison guards in Dubai

    Mr Brown's family had accused the Foreign Office of placing diplomatic relations above the welfare of their loved one, who was ruled to have died of "neglect" by an inquest.

    The builder, painter and decorator from Dagenham, east London, had been planning to visit the city for just a few days before heading off to Indonesia to visit his girlfriend.

    Jurors were told he had arrived in the Gulf state on April 6, 2011 and had allegedly assaulted a maid at the Burj Al Arab hotel.

    Brown, who had been staying at the hotel, claimed the woman had entered his room without permission and soon after he found himself surrounded by 20 people who dragged him to a police station.

    A jury forewoman said: "The factors that probably contributed to his death are as follows.

    "Bruises from other detainees, guards and police officers, a lack of adequate food or water, a lack of habitable living conditions and a lack of access to necessary medical care while at the police station.

    • Harry 'getting in bed with Netflix' is 'not the best idea' for the Royal Family

    "Factors that possibly contributed to his death are a lack of access to services and adequate clothing. The neglect was by the authorities at Bur Dubai police station."

    Jurors recorded his medical cause of death was unanswered.

    Nadia Persaud, Area Coroner for East London, will write a prevention of future deaths report to the Foreign Office to raise "concerns" about the issues raised during the inquest.

    Persaud said: "It has been an absolute privilege to work with Doris Brown and Lee’s siblings who remained wholly dignified in the face of a lack of a response to the number of requests we made for some of the evidence which was never recovered.

    "I hope this inquest has answered some of the questions the family had and gone some way to finding justice for Lee."

    For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

    READ NEXT:

    • Teens who bragged about murdering teacher with baseball bat killed her over bad grades
    • Boy, 12, set on fire after two men ask if he wants to see a 'magic trick'
    • Ukraine worry as Putin's troops seen building 'unknown structure' at nuclear power plant
    • Prince Harry has 'no regrets' about memoir that could see Royal Family fallout
    • Royal fans 'not surprised' by Meghan Markle's British citizenship test admission
    • Breaking News
    • Jobs
    • Police
    • In the News

    Source: Read Full Article