Boy, 11, fights for life after swallowing magnets in ‘deadly’ TikTok trend

A "deadly" TikTok trend has left an 11-year-old boy fighting for his life after swallowing magnets.

After Ellis Tripp complained of feeling poorly, medics found five tiny magnetic balls in his intestines and bowel.

The lad, who remains in a critical condition, was rushed into theatre on Wednesday after a week of suffering what doctors thought might have been a burst appendix.

Instead they were shocked to discover his appendix was healthy but a magnet attached to their operating tools while they probed the cause of his pain.

He was rushed to Birmingham Children's hospital on Friday where he underwent surgery to have three of the "Magneto Balls" removed.

He endured another gruelling six-hour operation on Saturday when surgeons had to take out five inches of his bowel to remove the last two.

It is feared Ellis, of Worcester, may have been performing a dangerous TikTok craze which sees youngsters pretend to have their tongue pierced.

The viral prank sees people place two magnetic balls either side of their tongue and wiggle it around, creating an optical illusion that their piercing is stationary.

Mum Amy Clarke, 31, who has been by her son's side in hospital ever since, posted a heartfelt plea urging other parents to get rid of the balls.

She posted on Facebook: "I'm in a nightmare.

"This TikTok craze could/would have killed him if left any longer. Please talk to your children and tell them how DANGEROUS THESE ARE.

"Magneto Beads are deadly if swallowed. They even have them in educational/childcare settings for children to play with. DESTROY THEM…!!!!!"

It is not clear how Ellis managed to swallow the balls as his family say they do not have any in the house and the schoolboy does not have TikTok.

Sue Davies, Ellis's grandmother, said surgeons are concerned after he was the fifth youngster in just a week they have treated for swallowing magnets.

She also revealed that teachers at Ellis's school had found other youngsters with the magnets in their possession during a search.

Sue, 50, said Ellis was today (Sun) "hooked up tubes and wires" as his body tries to fight the infection caused by his bowel leaking.

She added: "He is seriously, seriously ill.

"Two major surgeries in just a few days isn't good for anybody, let alone a child. I am absolutely gutted, it's a very worrying time.

"It has been a truly horrific experience. We didn't think this could have ever happened to us, these tiny magnetic balls have cased such damage.

"Ellis went into theatre yesterday at 3pm and came back to the ward at 9pm. They had to remove five inches of his bowel to get the remaining two magnets.

"They've also had to go through his intestines to get to them.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

"We don't know where he got them from. His headteacher did a search and they found a lot of kids with them at school."

Sue said Ellis, who has a younger sister, Poppy, 10, and brother Reagan, 5, was facing a fight for his life.

She added: "The next 24 hours are going to be crucial. It's all about how his body fights this infection now after his bowel burst.

"We wouldn't have ever expected this. He's gone from being a happy, healthy 11-year-old to being hooked up on wires and drips.

"His mum hasn't left his side since Wednesday, she can't.

"He went in thinking it was appendicitis, which itself is a big thing, and he's ended up having major surgery."

Source: Read Full Article